Isabella Maria

Isabella Maria
Her 3 week pictures... such an angel!

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Update on Meatless me

It was been 7 whole days since I last ate meat. My conclusion... it's not really as shitty as I thought it was going to be!
What sucks is shopping, really. I like to buy quick things for lunches. I was pissed at Hot Pockets... they have ONE flavor without meat. 4 cheese pizza. I am sure it is good, but even their lean pockets don't have anything devoted to alternative diets! Geez! I have a feeling that Morningstar Farms and I are going to be best buddies.
Eating out can also suck, depending on where you go. Tonight we are going to go to Al-Ameer for my b-day dinner, they have a vegetarian section. Yay!
Going green (haha) has made meal time a little more fun. I have to put thought into my meals now. And didn't really realize it before but meat on some level has always grossed me out a little bit. Guess I just ignored it before. Guess I had to so I could keep eating it.
Some things I have realized:
1. Vegetarian fried rice from Chinese places= Good.
2. Mushrooms are running f*cking rampant in veggie foods and they must be stopped!
3. If a mushroom is even in my mouth, I gag.
4. Beans are good...
5. Tofu feels like a cooked sponge. EEEEW.
I have known #3 to be true for some time but the theory was retested a few days ago on veg. fried rice. I couldn't even taste it, but I felt something SO gross on my tongue, and then there I went with the wretch. Since I can't make myself eat one due to the gagging, my theory is that I am probably deathly allergic to them and that is my body's only defense mechanism.
OK well I want to blog more but I have to go.

8 comments:

Mommy Phoenix said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HONEY!!! WOOH WOOH! HAPPY BIRTHDAY WOOOOOOOOH! :)

cassdawn said...

O M G i can't believe i forgot to tell you - - - somewhere between today and the next month you are going to fart like you don't know the meaning of it and well . . . you might want to start carrying air freshener. gross but really gives you an idea how your body feels about meat!!!

morningstar IS DEF your friend. extra firm tofu is the way to go and pretty much tastes like whatever you want to spice it with. boca burgers are the best burger and if you like spicy they make a spicy chicken patty that rocks.

Andrea said...

LMAO!!!!!
I was sitting at Kim's house today and seriously my stomach was rumbling SO LOUD! I have been simply AMAZED by the amount of air in my gut! I figured it had to do with the diet change. LOL
Literally it started happening on the night of the 18th. You pretty much hit the nail on the head there!
The weird thing is I haven't been eating hugely different diet... basically the only thing gone is the meat. I still drink milk and eat cheese. So either I am eating more fiber than I realized or my body is detoxing itself. Either way--- eeew.
:P

cassdawn said...

hahaha
yeah it's the meat, not only does your body not necessarily process that too well but with RARE exceptions our meat carries all sorts of preservatives etc.

a gross story but one too funny not to tell {well, hopefully you agree :)}

i had been a veg for about 3 years and fell off for about six months - very poor and depressed and the daycare i was working at provided breakfast and lunch - anyhoo, when i moved back to MA i decided to go veg again. i was working at a daycare and my coteacher starts going around the room one day "okay who has a poopie"
"um, lynne, no one has a poopie"
"no, really, i can smell it"
"no really lynne. . ."
"sarah, come here"
"lynne look at me . . . no one has a poopie"

:)
you have been warned!!

kimberkara said...

Good job Andrea! I'm glad Veg is working for you.

Andrea said...

LOL! Cassie had a poopie! :)
Thanks for the story, that is awesome. That is one bonus of working at a children's hospital... I can let loose in a patient's room AND blame them! LOL j/k.
BTW- just ate Morningstar Farms spinach and artichoke bites and they KICK ASS.

chris said...

u r my hero. I know i promised to be there with u but i have eaten chicken and turkey since. i am just being lazy-woops- no i'm NOT i've been pretty damn busy! I WILL get there. The last time i went veg, i was at the stove breaking up the raw hamburger in the frying pan an i got soo grossed out, thinking of what i was actually looking at and feeling like a cannibal. and it still grosses me out. I had a great time at your birthday. I loved watching the guys trying to spin their propellers. that's not a euphenism, everybody. I bought little flying things to play with.

Andrea said...

Chris- Thank you for making my birthday special! It was a good time. :)
Don't worry about whether or not you go veg, it's OK. As far as I am concerned you're exempt. You probably need a lot of protein for the fibro. Not to mention you live in a very busy house!
Love you!