Isabella Maria

Isabella Maria
Her 3 week pictures... such an angel!

Monday, August 4, 2008

Harvey and some animal rights things too.

I am writing this blog because my dog Harvey is freaking me out today. I noticed about a week ago that he had some frank blood in his kennel when I came home. I freaked out and checked every inch of his body. When I found nothing wrong I just assumed he had cut his mouth on the bone he had in the kennel with him and went on with my life.
Well ever since then every couple days or so I find another small blood tinged stain on the carpet under his kennel. I am trying to not freak out about this. But a couple days ago I wake up to him vomiting in my kitchen, and he vomits up two small puddles of watery blood. I just about DIE.
I feel gut-wrenching horrible about this, but we are REALLY broke, so I didn't take him to the vet until today. He has had no more vomiting to my knowledge, but it is making me worried. What if it became something that in the beginning could have been easily fixed but turns into a life threatening illness? I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing that. So at 11:30 this morning he went to the vet.
Basically, the vet was concerned about an intestinal obstruction, but thought he looked way too perky for it to be that. Harvey is walking, playing, eating, drinking, pooping normal little Harvey-poops, happy, and shows no symptoms of anything wrong apart from this freaky puke he has been having. The vet gave me two options, we can treat with medicine for a couple days and see if he gets better, or we can do xrays and bloodwork, which was $200. Seeing how I do not have $200, we go the medicine route for now, which was $93. But that included an examination, a fecal test to check for worms and other undesirable parasites, an injection of pepcid to help his tummy and a 10 day course of antibiotics. Although it is money I can't afford to spend at least we got a lot of bang for our buck.
Best of all, the vet was loving as always and not at all judgemental for my decision to not spend the extra $200 for more definitive tests. I feel horrible that I didn't do it, but trust me if it continues we will be doing it, regardless of our financial situation. He is my baby, I will not see him do without medical treatment that he needs. I can't.
So, we are now trying to rule out partial obstruction, parasitic infection and possible ulcers. Weird, but OK. For the next 10 days my dog will be on antibiotics and pepcid AC, and for the next 3-5 days he will be eating a diet of only boiled chicken and rice to let his tummy settle. Bear has no known tummy issues but is still going to have to eat the chicken and rice, because he will throw a shit fit if Harvey gets that and he gets the regular food. :) Can't say I blame him.
So on a side note... I get emailings regularly from the Humane Society and often sign petitions and forward them to friends. Although it is a small contribution, I like to think I may be making a difference by doing it. So I will put on here the latest thing I have received from them. It is to help farm animals have more humane lives. I suppose the least we can do before we eat the poor things is give them the right to do things like stretch their legs and turn around in their cages. That's something a lot of them can't even do right now. I have NO idea how the sick farmer bastards can live with themselves and see those poor babies like that. My only hope is in their next life they are reincarnated into one of the animals they breed. That would be the epitome of KARMA.
OK, I am stepping off the soap box... for now. Here is the link if you feel motivated to help. I hope you do!
http://allcreatures.hsus.org/

PS- If you are looking for a good vet go to him, they are great!!
Healthy Paws has 2 locations, Westland and Belleville. We have been going to them since we got Bear and we think he is great.
http://www.healthypawsvethospital.com/


I am going to bed now to snuggle with my hubby and dogs for the night. Goodnight!
:)

1 comment:

I'm Scooter, but I might be a troll. said...

Free range chicken, and never ever eat veal.

Whenever I buy chicken, which is not very often, seeing as I live with my mother and have a girlfriend that feeds me (I realize how lucky I am, thank you.), I always buy free-range chicken.

Meat might be murder, but veal is torture.

At least a free-range cow got to see the sunlight.