Isabella Maria

Isabella Maria
Her 3 week pictures... such an angel!

Saturday, March 27, 2010

The movies I have seen today.

Aaron and I got Netflix this week. It is awesome. For $11 a month we can rent one DVD at a time to be delivered to our house and we can watch as many movies as we want on our PS3. This includes Blue Ray movies. Great deal, right? I recommend everyone gets it. It's way cheaper than going to Blockbuster, or even the RedBox if you're forgetful like me. Also, the selection on Netflix is like nothing you've seen before. Blockbuster and Redbox have next to nothing compared to Netflix.
Today I watched a couple of the movies that I know Aaron is not interested in, because he was at work all day. So first I watched The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. That was gut wrenching. Poor little boys. Hell, poor every single person in that camp. I know this movie was fictional, but I am sure parts of it were accurate, like the way the nazis treat the Jews. Horrible. I can't understand how one man can turn a whole country into hating machines.... Wow. It is sickening. After I watched the movie I did a little research online and one person wrote that it wasn't as shocking to see the humans' ability to hate as much as the humans' ability to be indifferent. How true! You could smell the burning of the dead's bodies for miles, people were ran out of their houses, beaten, starved, shot for no reason, and people were capable of pretending they didn't see that?! I understand that any resistance to the "final solution" or lack of loyalty to the government could earn you a spot in a concentration camp too, but damn. I think I would just leave the damn country and never go back. When I think of stuff like that kind of cruelty, it seems like it should have taken place hundreds of years ago. But no, that happened in the 30's and 40's. My grandparents were alive when that happened. They probably heard about it on the radio. Especially my grandparents in England, since they were so much closer than the American grandparents. That's an assumption, I could be wrong. But going on how little the American media talks about what's going on in the Sudan today, I would assume the American media has always had a tendency to focus on American based issues more than global issues. If I want world news, I watch the BBC. Sad, huh? I am not a huge news buff by any means, but in the morning when I am getting ready for work on Channel 12 in San Antonio they don't seem to talk about anything outside of Bexar County. But if I watch BBC, I hear about global issues. Like I said, no expert over here but that's my experience.
The other movie I watched today was the Stoning of Soraya M. Wow, talk about assuming that kind of stuff happened hundreds of years ago. My Lord. I can't even begin to tell you how thankful I am to be an American woman. If I lived in Iran or another country like that (that practices stoning) I probably would have been dead long ago. I can't wrap my head around the fact that women are really, seriously seen as inferior in other places of the world. I guess that just shows how naive I truly am. I probably have no friggin clue what its like to actually suffer. Well thank God for that.
I wanted to put something on here that I got from The Global Campaign to Stop Killing and Stoning Women. http://www.stop-killing.org/home
"In the Iranian Penal Code, a married woman has no right to divorce, a privilege which is reserved for the husband. Women have no custody rights of their children after age seven; as a result, women who can obtain a divorce by proving their husbands are either abusive or an addict, choose not to do so fearing the loss of their children. A man can marry up to four wives simultaneously, and may establish a sexual relationship with any other single woman through a temporary marriage without the requirements of marriage registration, ceremony, or obligation to any possible child that may result. In addition, a woman is legally obliged to submit to her husband’s sexual demands and do her best to satisfy him sexually. Hence if a man is sexually unsatisfied or in an unhappy relationship, he has many avenues open to him to dissolve the marriage and/or satisfy his sexual needs in a temporary “marriage”. However, these legal options are denied to Iranian women, and a woman seeking alternative intimate relationships is, in the eyes of the law, “committing adultery”. "
I have three words to say about this: Oh. Hell. No.

All I know is I am SO thankful to be who and where I am today. Compared to those movies I saw today it could be SO much worse than I could ever ever ever imagine. I need to quit my bitching and be a little more appreciative.

1 comment:

kimberkara said...

Maybe you should stick with the comedy section for a while.
I watched Marley and Me this weekend. Not a bad movie - but definitely not for preggo's.