Isabella Maria

Isabella Maria
Her 3 week pictures... such an angel!

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Little Mommy... the old version and my version

Yesterday I was at our local grocery store getting some stuff and I (of course) went through their limited baby stuff. I have decided that with every paycheck I am going to pick up the baby a little something so when she is here there will be (hopefully...) less stuff to stress about financially. At least for a few minutes. So far I have just gotten some body wash, a pack of diapers and a nose aspirator... but hey it's a start! I still have 20 more weeks to get stuff! But so far besides that, a few books, a couple toys and a laundry basket the poor child has nothing. The room still has boxes in it. We need to get a move on!
Anyhow, so I see the childrens' books and stop. The first one I see is a cute little Golden Book called Little Mommy. It starts off cute as a button. "This is my house and I am the mommy. My children are Annabelle, Betsy and Bonny. They are good little children and do just as I say. I put on their coats and they go out to play. (This is the bullshit part here...) Billy is daddy; he works in the city. He has a new car, isn't is pretty?" Those are the first few pages. It goes on and on about how this Little Mommy cooks and cleans all day. "I do the dishes and sweep the floor and wipe fingerprints off the door." It basically teaches female children that girls cook and clean and take care of children while the man works. Oh. Hell. No. Decades of women have not fought for equal rights for me to buy this shit book in 2010! I would like to rewrite the book. Ahem..
My name is Mary, and this is my condo. In the garage you can see my new Honda (close enough shut up this is impromptu!)
I am not married, I do not need a man, but if I change my mind I know I can.
This is my 10th floor corner office for all to see, and above my desk is my college degree.
After work sometimes I go to the martini bar but if I decide I don't want to the gym is not far.
I love my condo with a view of the city. This is my pool boy, isn't he pretty?
Lovely to look at, not much to say. I sip my mimosa while he works away...
I didn't settle, and I answer to no man. Instead of my dishes, I work on my tan.
Loving my life, I might marry one day. Until the right one comes along I'll continue to play.
If the day comes when I will be wed, I will have some things to be said.
I will not pick your dirty socks off the floor. I work too, do your own chores.
My job is JUST as important as yours. And don't let me catch you flirting with whores.
You have no idea how lucky you are, to have a woman with a career, job, brain AND a car.
And if perhaps you forget, on your ass you must go. When it comes to that shit, the only answer is NO.
THE END.

LMAO!
I swear to GOD if I receive that book as a gift for my daughter she will never so much as see it. I will print off what I just wrote and read it to her first. If she wants to be a stay at home Mom, that's great and honorable. Stay at home Moms work their asses off, non-stop, for no pay and it is hard, and probably very rewarding all at the same time. Hell, I wouldn't mind doing it now. However, I don't want my child to read this patriarchal bullshit thinking she needs to find a Prince Charming, or that she has no other options other than to be a mother and wife. I was told often as a child that I could grow up to be anything I wanted to be and that being a girl had nothing to do with what I could and could not achieve. My mother also taught me very young to never be in a situation where I had to depend on someone else. She would say to me, "Andrea, never depend on..." and I would say "a man". She learned the hard way, and Thank God we both refused to let that happen to me.
Well I am surprised to see that this blog went from a baby shopping experience to a bra burning feminist pow-wow! LOL. I never considered myself a feminist... maybe I just learned something about myself?
Anywho, I am coming down with a cold and need to go to bed. Hope you enjoyed my first Golden Book that I wrote. Maybe I should look into writing empowering childrens' books for the children of feminists? LMAO!

3 comments:

Sonya said...

Okay, I have to admit that was FUNNY! LOL

Andrea said...

LOL Thanks!
I am just happy that I was able to write something that rhymed as I went! LOL

kimberkara said...

That was damned good!