Isabella Maria

Isabella Maria
Her 3 week pictures... such an angel!

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Update #1 on Cletus.

And by this I mean Cletus the Fetus. Yes, until I find out it's a girl or until this baby is born it will be known as Cletus. :) heh heh heh I hope this kid has a good sense of humor, or at least is a good sport!
So I am officially 12 weeks and 4 days pregnant. My due date is July 23rd, which is awesome because that is my Father's birthday. If I can actually manage to have the baby of the 23rd I will be his favorite child for LIFE. :)
My second doctor's appointment was January 6th, last Wednesday. I have gained three pounds, which is interesting since the baby only weighs a half ounce... but nevermind...
I had a nurse come in the room and tell me we were going to listen for the baby's heart beat. I thought to myself, "cool, because I can never hear it at home!" She can't find it. But then she sends in someone else to find it. She can't find it either. I think really nothing of this because I think I am only 10 1/2 weeks along and it is still pretty early. However, Dr. White tells me that this is "concerning because at 11 1/2 weeks we should be able to hear the baby by now." He told me this after the third person, a nurse practitioner with previous OB experience, comes in and listens for a long time and can't hear the baby either. (However, we did hear a big WHOOSH noise and she told me that sounded like movement. That FLOORED me that a person that small can make noise inside me and I am completely oblivious to it!)
So of course I start to feel nervous, as I am sure anyone would be. Hey if the doctor tells me I might have reason to worry then I am about 3 seconds away from a nervous breakdown.
Eventually (after he takes care of an emergency patient) he comes back in the room and begins the ultrasound. I'm a little nervous but trying to keep my composure. A few seconds after he puts the (for lack of a better term, I assume...) wand down on my belly he says "Oh my God there's three in there!" I said "WHAT!" and then he just giggles. Awesome. I love that I have a slightly smart-ass doctor. This is the same doctor that tells me before my Pap smear last month to "not worry, he did this once before and it went fine." and after asking if my breasts were sensitive just before the breast exam made a mention of mashing them. LOL. I seriously could not have an high strung doctor for something like this. I mean, lets be reasonable. In all likelihood I am probably going to end up pooping on this guy's shoes... I need to be able to laugh with him.
So after my brief heart attack I learn there is actually only one child, and it is doing something that looks like break dancing in my uterus. It was the most amazing, hilarious thing I have ever seen. Dr. White said "You're going to have one energetic child." LOL. He almost couldn't even measure him/her because it was so active. It was hard to get a good view to measure! Dr. White kept saying "come on Munchkin, just slow down for just one minute!" And yes, I cried a little bit. I didn't boo-hoo it up but I did need a tissue. It was a huge relief to see my baby not only alive but thriving. I think if something was wrong it wouldn't be busting a continuous move in my womb. I saw this little person actually do a flip. A flip! I made a person who has two arms and legs and can flail! I don't think this will ever, ever get old or boring. :)
Yeah, I love being pregnant. I know what I am about to say sounds weird, but I am still going to try my best to put it into words. Being a grown up, you know what all your bodies functions are. You know what your legs do, and your hands and eyes, etc. And then you get pregnant and you learn what else your uterus (and breasts, and their magical vein making capability) does. Sure we all know the usual functions, but WOW can it do more. It is amazing to learn about your body more when you thought you knew it all already. It is all so new. I am only 12 weeks pregnant, but I definitely feel different already. I have a fullness in my lower abdomen. It has become uncomfortable to lie flat on my belly. It feels like I am squishing myself. If I stand up too fast after tying my shoes, or if I stretch in a certain position I feel my round ligaments stretching, which is NOT my favorite feeling in the world. It's amazing and fun, and I hope that every woman that wants to experience it for herself gets to at least once.
One more thing before I go watch American Idol and laugh at the audition... last night Aaron and I heard Cletus's heart beat for the first time ever last night! It was so cool! There was no mistaking that rapid heart beat for mine. It was 160 beats per minute and just sounded like it came from something little. On the doppler my heart beat sounds like whoosh, and the baby's sounded like a little *bip*. :)
I don't even know the little stinker yet and I am already falling madly in love with it!

2 comments:

kimberkara said...

I am SO grateful you were able to experience this Andrea!

Cat's Litterbox said...

My brother and sister-in-law called my nephew "Cletus" until they knew he was a boy.

:)