Isabella Maria

Isabella Maria
Her 3 week pictures... such an angel!

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Vegetarianism.... is it for me?

I frequent the PETA website. However, I recently found out I literally CAN'T join due to my husband being in the military and his inability to associate with groups like that because they say he is not allowed. So, I guess I will stick to signing petitions and emailing the bad guys asking them not pass laws that promotes cruelty, etc. It kinda stinks, I would like to be a part of an organization that helps the lives of animals. But at least this way I don't have to feel bad about not donating money. I can't. :/
So I have been eating meat. It's worse than quitting smoking. Literally every bite I take makes me feel bad, but sometimes I need it. Need. But when I don't get that need for it I abstain. Like last night, I made tacos for dinner. I made ground beef for Aaron and had no desire whatsoever to eat any of it. And I made refried beans for me, which were fabulous. Those, some Spanish rice, tomato, onion, low far sour cream, taco sauce all on top of tortilla chips and I was a happy girl. I didn't miss the meat at all. But every so often I have to have it, and I listen to my body. I figure eating less meat is better than eat meat daily, right?
I still try to buy only cruelty free products. I have shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotions, perfumes, laundry detergent and fabric softener, dish washer soap pellet thingees, hand soap, and dish soap all picked out that is cruelty free. SOme of it is a little more expensive, but I would hope to God that if I was a bunny, or a dog or something else furry and cute that the people who rule the world would find it in their hearts to pay a little more to secure my safety. I only buy free range eggs too. Hey even if I do have the occasional burger I am still making an effort.

In case you're curious, here are the brands of stuff I use now that you can find at every day stores like Wal-mart and Target that are cruelty free.

-Tresemme Shampoo and Conditioner
-Bath and Body Works (OK this is a mall store, whatever.)
-Lush- everything there is cruelty free... mall store again. So sue me.
-Method (they have laundry stuff, hand soap, furniture polish etc.)
-Simplicity (fabric softener, dishwasher soap pellet thingees and laundry soap.)
-Wal-Mart Brand now has a cruelty free laundry soap, Mandarin Orange scented. It is CHEAP!!!!
-Victoria's Secret products claim to not test "finished product" on animals... I am not sure what this means and I am going to try to find out.

I just emailed Tresemme, Johnson and Johnson, Victoria's Secret and Proctor and Gamble asking them if they conduct animal testing for their products. I plan on blogging their responses for you.
Just in case it is needed, the reference # for the P&G email I sent is: '081002-001876'

And no, they were not rude, accusatory emails. They were simple and to the point. An example is this, written to Victoria's Secret.

Hello,
I have recently read on different bottles of body spray I purchased from you that it says "Finished Product not Tested on Animals". What exactly does that mean? Does it mean that individual ingredients are tested on animals?
If so, does it cause them pain? What does your company actually do to these animals? Please respond to this email with specific answers so I can be an informed consumer making sound decisions.
Thank You.
Sincerely,
Andrea Lamorand

OK, I think I am done with this animal stuff for now. I don't know what to call it. Helping, crusading (haha), whatever it is I have to put it on hold so I can take a nap before work tonight.

I will keep you all posted on what I find out!

No comments: