Isabella Maria

Isabella Maria
Her 3 week pictures... such an angel!

Friday, October 10, 2008

Life Change for the Better!

Hello!
It is with GREAT JOY that I write this blog. I got a NEW JOB!!!!!
Starting Nov. 10 I will be part of the Training Team for HomeMed at the University of Michigan. YAY! Here is a copy of the posting to give you a better idea of what I will be doing:

Market Title: Registered Nurse
FLSA: Non-Exempt
Hours/Week: 40 hrs/wk
Shift/Hours/Days: Days, Monday - Friday
NOTE: Day shift between the hours of 9:00 to 5:30 with occasional Saturday rotation.


To provide nursing care, assessment, evaluation, training and monitoring to an assigned patient population (inclusive of pediatric and adult) requiring home infusion and durable medical equipment prior to hospital discharge and in the outpatient clinic setting. To provide nursing advice and consultation to nursing and other health team staff along the continuum of care. Triage problems as they arise with home patients. To train and serve as a preceptor of nursing and others assigned to Home Care Services. To participate in health team activities.
Job Requirements: (I erased the obvious ones, like 'must be a nurse, etc. etc.')
Direct care with all types of vascular access devices (i.e.: PICCs, midlines, implanted, tunneled), wound care and oxygen patients.
In-depth recent experience in patient education (i.e.: self care, disease state management).
Note: Role will require cross training to both the Hospital staff role (in-hospital setting) and the Home Infusion visit staff role (patient home). Occasional on-call.

So basically half the time I will be in the hospital teaching people how to use their central IVs, like how to infuse meds, etc. The other half of the time I will be in people's homes infusing medicines like IVIG and Chemotherapy.
I will be either on call or will be working at the Clinic every 6th or 7th weekend. I am not sure which one yet, it depends on which team they put me on. We rarely work any holidays AND get reimbursed for every mile driven in our own vehicles! If we drive over 1200 miles a month, we get a company car. Not permanently, I think it is just for driving for work. But still!!! How awesome is that? They really treat their employees well as far as I can tell.

Here is my Pro/Con List:
PROS:
-It is a change! I have been working on the same floor for 3 years and 5 months, it would be nice to learn something different.
-This is a step in the right direction for my career. I would one day like to be a manager, and home care is where it's at right now. (Baby Boomers getting older, sicker, etc., home care is probably one of the highest growing nursing fields.) This experience in home care will only help me.
-There is really no room for growth where I work now. I have asked numerous times to be a preceptor or to have extra work to do to help the floor and I never get it. There are 80+ nurses on our floor, and all those positions are already filled. I would have to wait until everyone else doing those jobs leaves before I would get a chance to do it. And even then, it is not definite that I would ever even get it! See how this is going?
-I would be working the same shift as my husband, for the first time EVER since we have known each other! That will be awesome, I will be able to see Aaron EVERY DAY!
-A more normal schedule will make it possible for me to have a life; go to the gym more, see my friends more, and have every weekend off for my kids when I one day (hopefully) have them.
-I will make more money. Right now I work 36 hrs a week, and with this position I will be back up to 40 a week. It doesn't sound like much, but it equals out to more than the bonuses I got working nights. And in this economy especially, every little bit helps.
-I met my co-workers already and they are really nice. Everyone was very welcoming and hopeful that I would get the job. (I met them all before I accepted the position.)

CONS:
-I will miss the 6Mott Girls (and the couple boys, too). I have been there for a long time and have developed some really good friendships. They are what has kept me there so long, I would have left already if I worked with a bunch of B-words.
-I will be driving more. But half the time I will get reimbursed for the gas I use, so hey I can't complain too much!
-I have to get to the U really early to get a parking spot unless I want to spend $700 a year on parking. I have to be there by about 7:15AM to get a parking spot in the orange lot and take the bus to the hospital. That does suck but at least then it means I will have time to take a nap in my car/put my make-up on/read/visit 6Mott before I go to work. So it is not all bad! :)


I am very happy and a little sad. But I already made an agreement with my boss that I can always come back if I decide I don't like it. That makes me SO comfortable to know that I have a plan B if I need it. :D

This means there is definitely some celebratory partying in order! I will make the appropriate plans as soon as I know if it is a BFP or BFN this month!