Isabella Maria

Isabella Maria
Her 3 week pictures... such an angel!

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Best of MySpace Blogs #1

So I went through my MySpace blogs, and a lot of them were situational and not worthy of being copied and pasted here for your reading enjoyment. :)
Here is one I thought ay entertain or at least teach a lesson! ha ha

So this is what happened last night at work...
I had an orthopedic patient with a cast that was too tight. It happens. No one’s fault, it just needs to be fixed. It needed to be cut open with a saw to give her little toes more room so her circulation could improve.
For those of you who don’t know... Orthopedic surgeons are notorious for being giant A-Holes. Especially the ones you wake up at 1AM. The one I dealt with was actually (Thank the Lord) pretty nice. So... here’s how it goes.
For the sake of HIPAA I am going to save some details. Chances are they won’t matter much to the story anyway. I page him and tell him what’s going on. He says to call him back in an hour after I take his suggestions on how to fix it myself. He said if there was no improvement he will come up to the hospital and check it out. So, an hour passes, I page him again and tell him that indeed the foot has not miraculously recovered itself, and that he should come up and check it out. So he tells me to get the cast saw and supplies ready in the room for when he gets there. OK, sure I say. And then when I go to get the saw, it has magically disappeared.
After that I page him and let him know that I can’t find it. He isn’t pleased. He says, well I can’t do anything without a saw, please find one. My charge nurse and I call a total of 5 other floors, no one but the ER has a saw.
My friend Tacoma is a nurse in the ER, we have the following conversation via the paging system. OK, so it may not be verbatim, but it is pretty close.
me- Do you have a cast saw? I have a pt. who needs their cast cut open.
T- Is ortho there to do it right now?
me- No... they’re waiting until I get the saw before they come... because THAT makes sense.
No sooner did I hit the send button on the page did I realize the name on the top of the computer screen. It was not that of my friend Tacoma. No, it was none other than the DOCTOR I WAS WAITING FOR TO COME. This is a HUGE paging faux pas. All I can say is Thank You SWEET JESUS for the fact that I did not send the page I had meant to send... I had planned on calling him a stupid f*cker or something to that effect. In retrospect I guess he wasn’t even that bad... but at the time I was stressed and just wanted something to happen with this cast, and I was sick of waiting.
I couldn’t even deny the page was mine. What other patient in my hospital is waiting for a doctor to come from home to cut a cast and can’t find the saw? When I am paging the orthopedic resident, yeah... he would know. I would bet a large sum of money that my patient was the only one. How do I weasel myself out of this one? So, I do the only thing that seems right. I send out an immediate sorry page. Went something like "oops, sorry. I am just frustrated, can’t find a saw anywhere. Is there anyone else you know of I can call to get a saw?". I didn’t hear from him. I was scared, wondering if something like this can actually get me fired. Sure I talk sh*t about people all the time, I just don’t usually inform them of it. At least not in that tactless manner.
20 minutes later hew shows up, with a saw, and fixes the problem. As we are walking into the room I say sorry to him again, and explain that I was pretty worked up about not being able to find the saw. He says, "You know, it is OK, I am here, I’m gonna take care of it. It’s fine." Basically like, hey bitch... no need to badmouth me to your co-workers. I had a very calm, sweet demeanor for the duration of his little visit, and made sure to say thank you a couple times while being sickly sweet.
I think I am going to make it. Lesson learned here: MAKE SURE YOU’RE PAGING THE RIGHT DAMN PERSON. Major bridges could have been burned here. It could have been SOOOO much worse.
After it was all said and done, I was done sweating bullets, one of the girls I work with laughed at me and called me a tool. It inspired my title. LOL.
I think this is one of those stories where it makes more sense if you would have been there. But it can happen to anyone, text messages, emails... be careful. ha ha. It could happen to you! lol

1 comment:

I'm Scooter, but I might be a troll. said...

I've been on the receiving end of IM's that were meant for another person. Nothing mean or incriminating, just... "wow, it's hot today, isn't it", and the response is, "Yeah, I'll call Julie tomorrow about the pig roast". Or something like that.

We all have to realize that it takes more work to be mean than it does to let someone's worries and frustrations be let out.

The Doctor might have done something like that once before to somebody else, right?