Isabella Maria

Isabella Maria
Her 3 week pictures... such an angel!

Saturday, July 4, 2009

MySpace Politics

I recently had an old friend (lets call him Bob) find me on myspace that I had not spoken with in probably, 7 or 8 years. It was very nice to get reconnected to Bob, catch up on things, etc. We had a few long phone conversations. It was cool.
However, my husband did not like it. And I don't blame him. I found out something quite interesting about this friend of mine and waited for him to come clean with it and he never did. I was waiting for Bob to tell me where he had been all these years. Another friend and I were searching on the Michigan OTIS, goofing around to see if we knew any people in prison (we actually did- scary) Bob being one of these people. Since he was in for armed robbery (holy crap!), I think the honest thing would be is to admit it to me. We were at one time very close. He was one of my best friends in high school.
Despite what he did I was willing to look past it and still be at least friends who occasionally talk. I don't know his side of the story, and even if he did do it (which he must have, right?) I think the chance of him doing something stupid around me is probably very low. Am I stupid? Naive? Quite possibly. But it is hard to think one of my friends was capable of doing something that bad. So I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. And once people have served their time, they should be given a clean slate? Maybe?? Under certain circumstances?? I dunno. There's a whole lotta gray area here.
So we talked on myspace a few times, and he was friends with a couple of my friends. I am not on myspace much now, because I am indeed a grown woman with a career... and plus I like facebook more now. LOL. Yeah, don't let me fool you into thinking I am "beyond" social networking websites. But I hadn't hear from him in a while so I shot him an email. Never heard back. OK, we're all busy, I understand. A couple months later I send him another email inviting him out to the festival I am going to today and gave him my cell.
I checked myspace this morning to see if he read the email I sent him. He did. So I went to send him a comment on his page and say hey are you going today? And then myspace said to me "You must be one of this person's friends to leave a comment."
Hence the reasoning behind this entire blog. Why do people take myspace and fb so seriously? Just because I don't talk to you often on there because I have a real life doesn't mean I am ignoring you. Damn people. There should be a box people have to check when they start one of those websites so it can warn the rest of the normal people.
It should look something like this:
I will be:
A.- Not at all offended if you don't contact me often on here because it's a website and I understand it is real life.
B.- Somewhat offended you don't contact me often on here because although it is a website it is one of my favorite ways to communicate with friends and family.
C.- F*CKING PISSED if you don't contact me often on here because this is as important as any other aspect of my social life! This is my life and don't you rob me of it!

For future reference... if I am not on myspace or facebook often it's not because I don't have warm fuzzy feelings for you, it's because I have to do things like cook and clean and work. OK?

4 comments:

I'm Scooter, but I might be a troll. said...

That's very odd. I maintain my Myspace site and I use Facebook very often. Still, if a friend from high school doesn't comment on something I post... well...

I will give you the benefit of the doubt, yo. Life happens. It takes time to use social networking sites.

We need to use all of our time wisely.

cassdawn said...

i have opinions on most of your questions - big surprise huh? me with opinions. but ultimately, the point at hand your "friend" and myspace/FB. there are a few people i would get pissed if they never answered me as it is currently the only way i have to contact them (keep meaning to get phone numbers). idon't know if i'd go defriending the but then that just really isn't me either. you'd have to do something really really ugly to me. but this guy had a way to get in touch with you so if you did something that offended him he could man up and have a conversation about it. the good news is now you don't have to labor over his side of the story; if he did it or giving him a current clean slate. you can just rest assured in knowing that in the present - he's an idiot :D

Andrea said...

I agree Cassie! But it's not like he even contacted me and I just didn't respond. We just didn't contact each other, to my knowledge.
Maybe I was supposed to call him once and forgot? I dunno. Ooh, maybe because I didn't invite him to Aaron's going away party. But can you blame me? I haven't seen him since I was like, 21 and Aaron doesn't like the guy. Ugh.
Either way if it was something I did he should man up about it. The fact that he didn't speak volumes about his character.
Oh well!

Booya said...

I guess some people never truly graduate and move on from high school.